Monday, November 08, 2004

One is Eco-Friendly. Yeah, right.

It's reported that the Queen has "come out as an environmentalist". Not the first queen to have come out - an obvious joke but it has to be made.
But how someone who needs Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle, Sandringham and Balmoral, not to mention their own personal train, can call themselves an environmentalist escapes me. Apparently it's based on the royal Bentley running on gas and a new hydro-electric scheme at Windsor. Oh, and she uses energy-efficient lightbulbs in her hundreds of rooms. Big deal.
It's like me saying I've come out as a vegetarian because the gravy I pour over my roast beef is made with vegetable stock.

Linguistic note: "coming out" has broken loose from its gay origins and is now applied to any personal declaration, however trivial. This rather devalues the agonising process of the original meaning of the phrase but to rail against the evolution of spoken English is like pissing against the wind. So I won't.

Coming out footnote: when Nathan Lane (opening in The Producers in London this week) told his mother he was gay she said: "I'd rather you were dead." He replied: "I knew you'd understand."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home