Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Brits

I tried to watch The Brits last night. I really did try. Honestly.
But men of a certain age probably shouldn't even attempt to do so because you find that you're turning into your father.

Some of the music is pleasant enough if you hear it on the radio. But to watch these people perform produces a degree of irritation that is unendurable. Both Bono and Chris Martin lunged around the stage in the most bizarre bodily contortions as though they had cerebral palsy. Why, for God's sake?
The other night, an excellent documentary on the great Tony Bennett showed him standing completely still in his renditions, apart from a few hand movements. Yet his interpretation of the lyrics was mind-blowing and on one occasion moved me to tears.
Of course, with most pop music the lyrics are such incomprehensible or meaningless shite that there's nothing to interpret anyway, even assuming that the singer's diction is good enough to decipher the lyrics, which it seldom is.

The Red Carpet ritual for The Brits had one of the most unappealing backdrops imaginable: the urban wasteland of part of Earl's Court.
The interviews consisted almost entirely of the female interviewer and stars saying to each other "Oh my God! You look gorgeous!" Plus those strange contemporary constructions like "I'm loving the shoes!" (instead of "I love your shoes").
Do they really mean these fulsome compliments? (A rare correct use of 'fulsome'). Or are they thinking "Fuck me, who let the dogs out?"

Watching just the first twenty minutes meant that I saw that strange opening set with Mathew Horne and James Corden looking like two ladyboys who had been blindfolded and told to get dressed from a fetishist's wardrobe.
By this morning I'd just about got the image out of my head and then the Guardian go and put a photo of them on page 3.
According to the Guardian they're doing "the hand jive." I must take the word of the teenagers who write for the Guardian on that one. But if you'd asked me, I'd have betted that a 'hand jive' was a euphemism for something you wouldn't do on ITV at 8 o'clock in the evening. Well, a toss-up between that and something that Sharon the physio gets the geriatrics to do in the day room of the nursing home.
"Time for your hand jive, Mr Lupin."
"Ooh, Matron......"

11 Comments:

At 12:26 PM, Blogger Geoff said...

I liked Matthew Horne in Gavin & Stacey. I just wish I hadn't seen him anywhere else.

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Vicus Scurra said...

Tony Bennett? Tony Bollocky Bennett?
He looks still because he is dead. If you keep going on like this people will start to think that you are gay.
Actually, can't think of anyone who adds to their music by performing it, apart from Weird Al, obviously.

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger Willie Lupin said...

geoff: I hope I'm wrong but I fear that his forthcoming sketch show with James Corden will be dreadful.

vicus: I'm not aware that Tony Bennett has a gay following. Perhaps you're confusing him with Judy Garland who, unlike Tony, is actually dead.
Who the hell is Weird Al?

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Vicus Scurra said...

Periodic reminder that we miss you.

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Willie Lupin said...

vicus: Thank you.
I have been too distressed by the death of Jade Goody to write anything.

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Ranting Teacher said...

Come on Willie, the time for grieving is over... did you send the floral tribute that said "minger"?

 
At 8:55 AM, Anonymous Elisa said...

Oh yeah, I watched the show, too. I'm totally your opinion.

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Zul said...

Hi there. Keep it up for a good job.You really have a lot of nice blog here. Lots of information. I have read and passed on this info to my friends as well.

Cheers!
fivezull
One Drop Perfumes
Free Movies
Online Degrees
Higoat
Catcheye

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger ini aku said...

Hi,

Nice post! Your content is very valuable to me and

just make it as my reference.Keep blogging with new

post!Unique and useful to follower....

Cheers,

car audio schools

 
At 12:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not many music fanciers here then! "Hand Jive" is the dance craze for the hands that went with the song "Willie and the Hand Jive", originally by Johnny Otis and covered by Cliff and the Shads to name only a few.Some retro-inclined groovers still indulge(I've seen them,I've played the song!)And yes,I think we can safely assume the hand shandy reference,so best of both worlds really.

 
At 5:08 AM, Anonymous baju muslim murah layali said...

Nice posts, i’m very like it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home