Sunday, June 15, 2008

Turning Words Into Food

Wouldn't it be wonderful if you could donate food to starving people without any financial cost to yourself - especially if you don't have much spare cash to donate to charities?
Well now you can, thanks to a website called www.freerice.com.
The site tests your vocabulary with multiple choice definitions of words. For every word you get right, 20 grains of rice are donated to the World Food Programme. The rice is paid for by the site's sponsors.

I spent just a few minutes on the site yesterday and today and clocked up 2000 grains of rice. So I reckon if you have a good knowledge of words and spend a few minutes each day you could easily donate up to 10,000 grains of rice a week.
If you go to the Options page, you can ask the site to keep a running total of your scores at each session.
It also shows your skill level, with 60 different levels and with few people going above level 50. I'm currently on level 45.
If you can get higher than that I'll hate you forever.


Help end world hunger

4 Comments:

At 12:23 AM, Blogger Tim F said...

Woo. Hate me forever.

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Willie Lupin said...

I forgot to say that you have to deduct lucky guesses from your score.
Nonetheless, congratulations.
I need to up my game.

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger cello said...

Got to 52, but went up and down a bit before I got a lucky string of words. Rather addictive - or is that just my personality? My excuse is that I was learning as I played and accruing grains all the while. Nice one, Willie.

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Willie Lupin said...

cello: yes, it is very addictive. Difficult to stop once you start and you have the excuse that you're winning more rice.
You realise how useful a smattering of Latin and other languages is when making a guess.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home