Friday, October 07, 2005

Pop Goes Everything

In my last post I referred to Dr Liam Fox 'popping pants down', metaphorically speaking. I did so because the medical profession have long been fond of popping. Maybe it's something they teach them at medical school.
The doctor will 'pop you up on the couch', ask you to 'just pop your pants down', tell you he's about to pop a bloody great needle into you and then 'pop a plaster' on the wound. Then he'll tell you to 'pop round to the chemist' with his prescription and 'pop back' to see him in a week or two.

But now, like some mutating virus that has crossed species, 'pop' has exploded throughout the general population.
The woman in the shop today asked me to pop my debit card into the card machine. Then, to just pop my pin number into the machine. When I'd completed all this popping she told me she was just going to pop my purchase into a bag for me.

Frankly, I'm popped out.
The next person who asks me to pop something in or to pop something down or who pops something in for me, I'm quite likely to take a pop at them.

2 Comments:

At 6:41 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

When I was at school, "pop" was the polite term for ... er ... flatulence. Was that just my childhood, or is this widespread amongst annoying middle class children?

 
At 6:27 AM, Blogger Willie Lupin said...

I haven't heard that usage before.
I think 'pop' is also an alternative for 'the money shot' but as you know I try to keep unsavoury sexual references out of my blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home