Friday, April 01, 2005

Go Figure 3

Exasperated at the saturation television coverage of the dying Pope and wondering how it could possibly be justified, I did some rough and ready calculations based on generally accepted statistics.
I found that there are approximately twice as many homosexuals in Britain as there are practising Catholics (i.e. those who attend mass).
Of course the two categories are not mutually exclusive, particularly amongst the priesthood, but I don't think too many gay people will be joining in the eulogies to this most viciously homophobic of church leaders.
I'm sure I'll return to this subject in the coming days, but in the light of the figures I've quoted one has to ask why there is no longer a single programme devoted to gay issues on British television and why some constituencies of the media get coverage out of all proportion to their numerical size.

10 Comments:

At 10:35 PM, Blogger peter said...

Aha. But that would be old media. Now contrast the number of gay blogs with Catholic blogs and I think you'll arrive at a different conclusion!

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger peter said...

Aha. But that would be old media. Now contrast the number of gay blogs with Catholic blogs and I think you'll arrive at a different conclusion!

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger peter said...

Repeated for emphasis, obviously.

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Willie Lupin said...

Obviously. But it bears repetition.
There are certainly a large, possibly disproportionate, number of gay blogs. Sadly, most people have still not heard of blogs and don't know that the publishing of opinion has been democratised.

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger Tom Paine said...

Give the poor old guy a break, at least while he dies. You may not like his views (can't say I do myself) but he did more than any of us to liberate the former Warsaw Pact countries. I am sure he did other stuff too, but that's enough to win him a bit of respect surely.

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger zaphod said...

He might have been a good chap but he represented the catholic church. The church that if it were the supreme authority in this world would be a force for disaster.

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger zaphod said...

And....Sky news web page is smothered with his death. Talk about blanket coverage.

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Willie Lupin said...

I mostly confined myself to criticising the media coverage rather than writing several thousand words criticising the Pope's views.
The point about blogging is that bloggers don't have to be as reverential or hypocritical as old media and suspend our critical faculties because someone is dying or dead.

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger ©gloop said...

I'm a little hazy about it, but just how the hell did he rid the world of communism? If anybody prepared the way for velevet revolutions of the late 80s and early 90s it was surely Gorbachev?

He was riddled with the bigotry and repression that his particular branch of organised religion always was. The next'll be the same as well - mark my words. All the front runners are in their 70s.

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Willie Lupin said...

Steve, the day you disagree with me on something like this I'll be seriously worried!
I think you're right about the collapse of communism - see today's little rant.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home