Sunday, October 26, 2008

No smokey, no writey, writey

Until Vicus poked me in the Comments Box, I hadn't realised how much time had elapsed since my last post.
The reason for the silence is that I've been busy stopping smoking.
An unfortunate side-effect is that it's almost impossible to write without a cigarette. These three sentences have taken me 15 minutes. I even have to set aside an hour each morning to compose my shopping list.
I suppose I could write something about the difficulty of writing when you stop smoking.
No. Hang on. There's a logical flaw in that idea.

If you wish me to resume regular blogging, feel free to start an online petition to get me smoking again.
In the meantime, do drop by occasionally to see if I've managed to string a few thoughts and sentences together.

4 Comments:

At 11:07 AM, Blogger Tim F said...

Have you considered taking snuff?

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Willie Lupin said...

tim: unfortunately snuff is also harmful to health.
I have nicotine chewing gum, etc, which is fine for most purposes but doesn't give a sufficient kick for writing.

 
At 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had exactly the same problem. Having communicated for years with my mother by writing letters, I found all the inspiration had gone. The association between fag/pen was so strong, without one, I could no longer imagine the other. It's a bit like going to a party and not drinking. Without drink, I am hiding in a corner, convinced my conversational skills will have people dying to get away from me. And yet, after only one glass (or two) I find myself positively overflowing with witicisms (or witticisms?).

I sympathise with your dilemma. Keep going though, I can now at least, type letters, though have NEVER handwritten one again! And that was ten years ago.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Willie Lupin said...

flakey: you will have noticed that I've now managed to do some writing again but need the Nicorette gum to do it.

As for not drinking at parties, the solution is never to go to parties. It works for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home